Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Fourth of July

I wish all of my readers a happy fourth of July and I hope you have a good time reading my poem. Also, I am sorry that I have neglected to post a poem in awhile, my life is very hectic though.

My Country Sleeps

The location of
this great Behemoth,
built by part and labor,
is lost to me.

My Elders speak
of shining stars, waving flags
and apple pie.
Their dreams and
sweat, the pavement
of these years
but here I stand
in a place otherwise.

No dreams, no pie.
Only things
to make you cry.
The dust to sting
your eyes
and clarify how
alone, how lost
we are.

Where is this
America?
Sheltering the needy
and unique.
Where are the
Dreams?

I can see them,
the shadows of
promises, wishes
all: unfulfilled.
I see fallacies
and phalluses
that rule above.

Where is my mighty home?
I do not see
Lady Liberty
her shield and sword
crafted in my father's
war.

I do not see
what we fight for.

I do not see
my America.

3 comments:

Ann said...

Look around at all the hardworking American citizens. There you will find the United States of America.:) It is the people, my son.

HOGBandit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HOGBandit said...

The best way to see America is to look at the rest of the World! America, on it's worst day, is better than the rest of the World.

You've seen more than most people and you still can see America? In much of the world you wouldn't even be allowed to express your opinions with the freedom you have done on your blog.

It's been said before, but Freedom and our way of life are NOT free. It's time for your generation to take the torch and move forward. I don't suggest that you fix all the worlds problems, just keep making it better. One step at a time! As long as we are moving forward there is still hope.